How to Make the Best Pasta Carbonara recipe. This pasta dish is a Personal favorite and for very good reasons. it is classic comfort food using simple ingredients that anyone can make.
Ah carbonara. Many other recipes call for cream in carbonara, but not ours. Ours is the classic take on carbonara. All the comfort delicious flavours combined together to make this absolutely deadly dinner.
It is the epitome of what Simple Kitchen Cooking is all about with this dish. Simple ingredients creating an absolutely delicious meal and for this recipe it all begins with the sauce. (Much like our Spaghetti Bolognese… mmmm the sauceeeee)
How to Make Carbonara Sauce
As we said it all begins with the sauce. Simple elegant sauce.
Carbonara Sauce Ingredients You’ll Need: garlic, black pepper, parmesan, pancetta lardons, white wine, egg yolks and 1 whole egg.
(full measurements and instructions at the bottom of the post to make the carbonara sauce)
If you can’t find pancetta lardons easy for any reason you can use streaky bacon as a substitute. Whatever you do, do not make this without it, it really brings an absolutely divine flavour to the dish.
Tips to making the perfect carbonara sauce
- Patience: there is a little patience involved when it comes to this sauce. You must allow the wine to reduce.
- Whisk: be sure that your egg yolk and egg are whisked together completely. To achieve this you must whisk vigorously together.
- Turn off the heat: Be sure that you turn off the heat before mixing the noodles and sauce together. The residual heat is what will create a smooth, creamy sauce, if it’s still on the high heat you’ll find it will cook almost like scrambled eggs. We are not going for scrambled egg pasta. 😉
What pasta do you use for carbonara
Spaghetti Carbonara is what carbonara is something referred to around the world but that does not mean you have to use spaghetti noodles in order to enjoy carbonara. You can linguine or rigatoni as well.
Easy Carbonara Dinner in under 30 minutes
Dinner made in under 30 minutes is our kind of weeknight meal. It honestly is the dish we make when there isn’t much food left in the house.
If you have chicken in the fridge you can also add chicken to this dish to make a chicken carbonara. Serve with some garlic bread and side salad and some white wine.
Dinner is servedddddddd. <3
Be sure to tag us on Instagram when you make it! @SimpleKitchenCooking
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- 270 g of dried Linguine/ spaghetti or rigatoni
- 1 garlic clove squashed
- 1 tsp of cracked black pepper
- 70 g of grated parmesan
- 220 g of pancetta lardons
- 50/60 mls of white wine
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- Heat a large frying pan and rub the garlic clove all over the base (remove clove)
- Add in the crushed peppercorns and toast them for 1 min or until you begin to get a strong pepper smell- remove the pepper & set aside
- In the same pan cook the pancetta until the fat slightly changes colour at this stage pour in the wine and simmer for 2/3 mins , until wine is mostly reduced
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente
- In a small bowl beat together the yolks and the extra egg stir in most of the Parmesan and all of the toasted pepper
- Drain the pasta reserving some of the cooking water
- Stir the pasta it into the pancetta along with 1/2 a ladle (apprx 115-125ml) of pasta water
- Turn off the heat
- Whisk one ladle (apprx 230-250ml) of warm pasta water in the egg mix and quickly stir it into the pasta pan
- Top with the remainder of the parmesan and eat straight away
- Garnish with fresh basil, oregano or marjoram
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 629Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 239mgSodium 360mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 21g