Making perfect scrambled eggs. One of those recipes that is most overlooked but is one of the easier (not to mention cheap) breakfasts you can make. We’ll go through how to make the perfect scrambled eggs today
Can scrambled eggs be a recipe? We say so here at SKC. We’d even go as far as to say that it should be THE ONE recipes that you should learn to make properly before moving out of the home. Along with this chicken curry and bolognese 😉 .
The wonderful egg. It’s packed with nutrients and protein, easy to make AND is a pretty cheap ingredient in of itself that can be an entire meal. The egg is all powerful and today we are going to teach you how to properly cook them.
It is important not to overcook scrambled eggs. We’ll also teach you how you can microwave eggs as well if you are short on time.
How to make Scrambled Eggs
We’ll start with what you’ll need. In reality, if you have a nonstick pan you can scramble your eggs alone… however, we strongly advise you add the butter at least. More on options below..
THE BUTTER: Adding butter to your eggs helps gel everything together while still deepening the flavour profile. If you are trying to watch your calories you can use 10g of butter instead of our recommended 15g. But really using butter will result in fluffier and perfectly cooked scrambled eggs.
THE CREAM: Now for us.. adding cream is a debatable topic in one of our households. So we think it comes down to personal preference. We personally love adding a splash of cream, it makes the eggs even fluffier in texture and elevates the egg even more.
Then you simply stir the ingredients together in the pan until it forms together, being careful not to overcook the scramble. More on that below….
How to know when eggs are cooked properly
You want to cook the eggs until they being to gel and form together. If they are still slightly slimy and it’s not set into curds like you see above.. your eggs are not cooked through yet.. Keep cooking.
Overcooking the eggs is the next biggest mistake. You want the eggs to be still moist but not slimy. If you overcook the egg whites become rubbery and stringy.
It is a huge reason why we recommend to turning the heat of the pan way down after you begin scrambling because it doesn’t take long or need excessive heat to cook.
How to scramble eggs in the microwave
Totally have been here before and thought we would share how to scramble eggs in the microwave. Either you are short on time or you don’t want to clean a pan.. You CAN cook eggs in the microwave. There is just a few things you’ll want to do.
- Cut the recipe in half by using 2 eggs instead of 4 and same goes for the butter.
- Be sure to butter your microwave friendly dish you plan to cook the eggs in.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds, quickly take a fork and give the eggs a whirl, cook for an additional 30 seconds and again fluff and mix around the bowl. If they are cooked at this stage, brilliant, if not; continue to cook for 30 seconds and fluffing between each 30 second.
I find that it’s very easy to overcook eggs in the microwave. So be sure to follow the above guidelines on when a egg is cooked.
Ways to enjoy scramble eggs… The possibilities are endless 🥚
On toast – simple as that. Add a little bit of butter onto your toast and add the scramble.
- more cheese
- smoked salmon
… you get it. Anything and everything can go into scrambled eggs. You really can make this into a full meal and often. Scrambled eggs are not reserved for just breakfast. They are perfect for lunch and dinner.
They are easily like beans on toast.. when in doubt on what to make.. just make some scramble on toast. 😊
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
- Easy Buttermilk Scones
- Simple Irish Pancakes
- Egg Salad by ItsYummi.com
- Egg Muffins by ThatsLowcarb.com
How to Make Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- 4 whole eggs
- 15 g butter
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cream (optional)
- Take a medium sized pan, put it on a medium to high heat.
- Crack your 4 eggs directly into it along with the butter
- Turn the heat down and using a flat bottomed wooden spoon or spatula stir continuously When the eggs starts to gel together turn off your heat, continue to stir until it is at your preferred texture
- Season the eggs to your taste and if your feeling like treating yourself pour in a teaspoon of cream
- Enjoy on some freshly toasted bread with a warm cup of coffee